Search

1/05/2019

Rome in Love by Anita Hughes | Book Review #137





The Bookish Island's Book Review:

Rome in Love by Anita Hughes




Are there spoilers?
I tried to not include any.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Title: Rome in Love 

Author: Anita Hughes

.........................................................

Pages: 314

Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin

Published: 2015

Genre: Romance, Contemporary, Chick Lit, Women's Fiction, Fiction, Italy

.........................................................

Date Read: January 4, 2019

Rating: ★★★★.5☆

From the author of LAKE COMO comes the story of a young actress who lands the lead in a film that is shooting in Rome, bringing about difficult life choices, new friendships, and a chance at love.

When Amelia Tate is cast to play the Audrey Hepburn role in a remake of Roman Holiday, she feels as if all her dreams have come true. She has a handsome boyfriend, is portraying her idol in a major motion picture, and gets to live in beautiful Rome for the next two months. 

Once there, she befriends a young woman named Sophie with whom she begins to explore the city. Together, they discover all the amazing riches that Rome has to offer. But when Amelia’s boyfriend breaks up with her over her acting career, her perfect world begins to crumble. 

While moping in her hotel suite, Amelia discovers a stack of letters written by Audrey Hepburn that start to put her own life into perspective. Then, she meets Philip, a handsome journalist who is under the impression that she is a hotel maid, and it appears as if things are finally looking up. The problem is she can never find the right time to tell Philip her true identity. Not to mention that Philip has a few secrets of his own. Can Amelia finally have both the career and love that she’s always wanted, or will she be forced to choose again?

With her sensory descriptions of the beautiful sites, decadent food, and high fashion of Rome, Hughes draws readers into this fast-paced and superbly written novel. Rome in Love will capture the hearts of readers everywhere.





The Rating:



My Review:

Rome in Love was my first book of 2019 and by luck, it also happened to be a good one. 
I'm so happy I had to pick this book up. (I say had to but I totally picked it for Romanceopoly's Women's Avenue.)

Rome in Love was a good book with beautifully detailed descriptions or Rome, the food, the fashion, everything. And I loved that about Anita Hughe's writing. Her way of telling the story is so enticing. Like I want to go to Rome and re-read this book. To eat the food that Amelia ate and see the sights she saw. It's that good. 
I'm also reminded of Santorini Sunset because the descriptions in that were just as beautiful. And one of the reasons I got this book was because I fell in love with that. 

These are totally vacation books. You take her books on vacation and just lay back with a drink by your side and enjoy the book along with the sights.

I loved Amelia she was such a cool woman. Not only was she passionate about her acting career but she was out there taking the opportunity that she was in Rome to film a Roman Holiday remake and explore Rome. To see it all and taste the foods. In that I truly liked her.

Philip, on the other hand, made me furious. Why didn't he just -UGH! I can't say cause I don't want to spoil it but he just rubbed me the wrong way.


There were parts in the last half of the book that could have been avoided. Like just say something and also the deceit was too much and went on too long. The very end. The very end was cute. but I still don't 100% support their relationship. I really wish she would have walked away and been like. 

"I'm a strong independent woman that takes no shit from nobody." 
And she'd sashayed away.

Other than one little personal tiff I had with Philip I loved everything about this book. The writing is fantastic, the characters where well written and different so I didn't get any of them mixed up (they had their own stuff happening outside of the main characters,  I loved that), and the romance is good. Plus, there's a princess in disguise and love at first sight.


Having read this book I can now tick off one book read in the Romanceopoly, Reading Women, and PopSugar Reading Challenges. As a part of my 2019 Reading Challenges.



Goodreads    ||    Amazon    ||    Barnes & Noble  


______________________________________







The Bookish Island
Blog  |  Tumblr  |  Instagram  |  Youtube  |  Goodreads


//postfooter//

 photo postfooter_zpsbjlk2ljo.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, all lovely booknerds!