Search

11/13/2018

The Killing Jar by Jennifer Bosworth | Book Review #126





The Bookish Island's Book Review:

The Killing Jar by Jennifer Bosworth





Are there spoilers?
No.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.
Title: The Killing Jar

Author: Jennifer Bosworth

.........................................................

Pages: 352

Publisher: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux

Published: 2016

Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Horror, Paranormal, Dystopian, Science Fiction, Mystery

.........................................................

Date Read: October 20 > October 21, 2018

Rating: ★★★★☆


“I try not to think about it, what I did to that boy.”
Seventeen-year-old Kenna Marsden has a secret.
She’s haunted by a violent tragedy she can’t explain. Kenna’s past has kept people—even her own mother—at a distance for years. Just when she finds a friend who loves her and life begins to improve, she’s plunged into a new nightmare. Her mom and twin sister are attacked, and the dark powers Kenna has struggled to suppress awaken with a vengeance.
On the heels of the assault, Kenna is exiled to a nearby commune, known as Eclipse, to live with a relative she never knew she had. There, she discovers an extraordinary new way of life as she learns who she really is, and the wonders she’s capable of. For the first time, she starts to feel like she belongs somewhere. That her terrible secret makes her beautiful and strong, not dangerous. But the longer she stays at Eclipse, the more she senses there is something malignant lurking underneath it all. And she begins to suspect that her new family has sinister plans for her… 



The Rating:






My Review:

This was one of the books I picked out for this years Spookathon. And I did manage to read it during this readathon. 

For me the story was good. It had a great fantasy element. That had bits of horror strung throughout. Which makes this book perfect for the more spookier times of the year. And it's also a female author writing a horror so that adds something to this book.

I was pleasantly surprised by the first three chapters when I read them. It reminded me too much of something that could come out of the X-Men. And I loved that. It was so spooky yet cool at the same time.  But as the story continued I did not feel the same by the end. 

Yeah, the story was great but the Main Character was such a ball of conflicting thoughts and feelings that I started to hate everything she did or said. And that made it difficult for me to say that this was a 5 star read for me. 

I think that the story alone, with its fantasy and horror, and the mix of mythology with the moths, and the feeling that something could go horribly wrong at any moment, made this a 5 out of 5 star book. But whenever the MC couldn't make up her mind about her feeling towards her family or the two boys that were after her (the love triangle was also way too weird because I had a feeling one of them was up to no good the whole time I was reading this book) I began to not like everything that was going on as much. That's why I gave this 4 out of 5 instead of 5 like I would have wanted to.


Like I said on Goodreads:
"But the main character ruined a lot of the story and what it could have been. I see this story being so cool and all but the MC was all over the place with her decisions. Sometimes it just felt like she had two personalities."


Goodreads    

______________________________________





The Bookish Island
Blog  |  Tumblr  |  Instagram  |  Youtube  |  Goodreads



//postfooter//

 photo postfooter_zpsbjlk2ljo.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, all lovely booknerds!