Search

6/17/2018

After Hours by Claire Kennedy | Book Review #106







The Bookish Island's Book Review:

After Hours by Claire Kennedy





Are there spoilers?
A few ones may have escaped me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Title: After Hours

Author: Claire Kennedy

.........................................................

Pages: 256

Publisher: Simon Pulse

Published: 2015

Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance

.........................................................

Date Read: Sep. 28, 2017

Rating: ★★★✩✩



Scandals and hook-ups abound in a summertime restaurant drama where four teens are all willing to do whatever it takes to make it through the workday and hopefully to win the money in the after-hours dare-based game of Tips.

Isa, Xavi, Peter, and Finn know that a job at the high-end Waterside Cafe isn't just about waiting tables. It's about the gossip, the hook-ups, the after-hours parties, and, most of all, it's about Tips.

Tips, the high-stakes game based on dares. Whoever completes the most dares wins the collected money. A sum that could change a wasted summer into a Summer to Remember.

Isa is the new girl with an embarrassing secret, and as long as she stays on top of her game, she sees no reason why anyone could ever find out.

Xavi will do anything for the money, absolutely anything.

Peter, Xavi's stepbrother, has been in love with her for years, and he thinks the game is the perfect time to confess his feelings.

Finn is in the game just for the thrill. He has enough tips coming in to keep him happy, even if those tips come with some conditions.

From seduction to stealing to threats, the dares are a complete free-for-all, and only the best can win.






The Rating:








My Review:

I first got attached to this book because of the cover. And after I read the blurb I thought it was going to be a cute Hate-to-Love romance set in a restaurant work environment, But after I started reading it I quickly caught on that it wasn't going to be what I expected. So the cover deceived me.

With 4 Points of View, Finn, Isa, Peter and Xavi; and all of them being well-written characters. I loved that. They all dealt with very heavy issues. All of these 4 characters grew and learned from what they had to go through in this book. My favorite characters are, Xavi, for working hard for the money and not letting others get I the way of that. Despite some (I think) illegal thing that went on.

The romance in this was both all over the place and lacking in all the right ways. For me, there weren't swoon-worthy scenes. It just wasn't for me. 

After Hours is fun, a fast read and different than I was used to reading. Lets also not forget that I just so happen to have started reading this book while waiting in my mom's car under full sun with no A/C while she waited in a long ass line for gasoline.
Guys, I had to drink a really hot and disgusting can of grape soda because I almost got dehydrated. And yes, the windows were all rolled down. It didn't make a difference since there was no wind. 
P.S. I read this shortly after Hurricane Maria passed by us here in Puerto Rico. 




Goodreads    |    Book Depository


______________________________________







The Bookish Island
Blog  |  Tumblr  |  Instagram  |  Youtube  |  Twitter  |  Goodreads



//postfooter//

 photo postfooter_zpsbjlk2ljo.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, all lovely booknerds!