Search

11/23/2016

A Week of Mondays by Jessica Brody | Book Review

Book Review:
A Week of Mondays by Jessica Brody

Spoilers?
Maybe.


Title - A Week of Mondays
By - Jessica Brody
Publication - August 2nd 2016 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Format - Hardcover, 464 pages
Genre - Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance

When I made the wish, I just wanted a do-over. Another chance to make things right. I never, in a million years, thought it might actually come true... 

Sixteen-year-old Ellison Sparks is having a serious case of the Mondays. She gets a ticket for running a red light, she manages to take the world’s worst school picture, she bombs softball try-outs and her class election speech (note to self: never trust a cheerleader when she swears there are no nuts in her bake-sale banana bread), and to top it all off, Tristan, her gorgeous rocker boyfriend suddenly dumps her. For no good reason!

As far as Mondays go, it doesn’t get much worse than this. And Ellie is positive that if she could just do it all over again, she would get it right. So when she wakes up the next morning to find she’s reliving the exact same day, she knows what she has to do: stop her boyfriend from breaking up with her. But it seems no matter how many do-overs she gets or how hard Ellie tries to repair her relationship, Tristan always seems bent set on ending it. Will Ellie ever figure out how to fix this broken day? Or will she be stuck in this nightmare of a Monday forever?


The Rating :





My Review:

My review in a gif. Which equals 5 stars.

via GIPHY


The Cover:
(Although they say never judge a book by it's cover I believe the cover should represent what the book is going to be like or at least some aspect of it.)
The cover of this book is everything. Its adorable and it hints at what's in the story. I adore the photo thing where you could see that she is different but he is the same each time. I love it. 


The Story:
This was such a good story. I adored the characters and the settings. It was such a good read that I really do think I'll read it again someday and be able to love it just as much. And it's cool because I rarely feel that way.


Relationships:
There weren't that many couples in this book but the ones that were established I appreciated them.

Ellie x Tristan
From the first time they were both in  a scene together I could tell exactly what was going to happen. And that didn't stop me from finding out for myself if my theory was right or not. A the story progresses we get glimpses of how they meet and oe they clicked since that day. But we also see how Ellie was struggling to be who she thought he wanted to be with. She believed that with him being in a band and being Mr. Popular that she had to be at his level all the time and we see that that wasn't what he wanted. He just wanted her to be herself but when we find that out it's already the end and too late.

Ellie x Owen
They are awesome.
They both like the same music and tv shows and they've known each other since they were kids. Its pretty inevitable that hy end up together but unlike most other stories that end that way this one I lied a lot. I adored the way that Owen always believed in Ellie on how she's repeating the days. I like how he cares for her and worried when he saw her spiraling down the rabbit hole of bad Mondays.


Family Dynamics:
As for Ellie’s family.
I liked the story of Ellie’s family. How their parents fought because dad forgot their anniversary and their little sis trying to fit in by following what happens in highschool movies. Especially The Breakfast Club. Which made her my favorite character of all time.
They were real and I like it when families in YA are real, and not the ideal of what a family should be like.


Settings:
Not many settings in this story. There was the school, Ellie’s house, the carnival(??) and Ellie’s car was a setting in a way. 
Out of all those places I have to say that I liked the all. I just wish there were more descriptions of the surroundings. Like for having repeated 7 Mondays in the same school, and carnival and even her house there weren't that many details of what they looked like. And if there were I just don't remember them much.


Overall:
I loved everything about this book. Yes, there were boring bits but there's always going to be boring bit here and there. It's just that in this book I didn't mind the boring bits. THose were just the learning bit for Ellie and I wanted to be there with her for every one of them. Cheering her on with awesome music playing in the background. I think we would have been great friends and I would have believed her if she told me she was repeating the same day over and over again.

There were parts where I just wished she would have stopped for a while and saw that there were other ting coming up to the surface and not just scheme up a plan to make Tristan stay with her. Ike her parents fighting and her sis being sad or even her best friend, Owen, being distant on some Mondays. I’m glad that in the end she got it straight, though.

I never really hated Tristan. I just thought he wasn't for Ellie. During the whole thing it was like he was on another world and no in the one Ellie was on. We didn't even find you much about him besides that he’s in a band and is popular and that his previous girlfriends don't last long.
 I mean I knew someone like that but I think I knew more about that guy than Ellie knew about Tristan, and I barely knew him.

And Owen. Oh, Owen! 
How I wish there was more to him than what was in the book. I wanted so much re of him and by the synopsis I expected him to be one of the main characters and him being her only friend. But we only got bits of him. Though those bits were cute.

Ellie is such a good character in parts. Because she went all out with each Monday. How she went through each day with a different attitude and look. That was awesome.
I also adored her because of her great, fantastic taste in awesome music. I adored listening to each song she suggested.

 Think I should also mention that while I was reading this book I added the chapter titles in a playlist and would listen to it while I read. It was an awesome playlist and worked perfectly with each chapter even if they got out of order.


A Week of Mondays Playlist



Get a copy at:
Barnes&Noble  |  Book Depository

______________________________________










//postfooter//

 photo postfooter_zpsbjlk2ljo.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, all lovely booknerds!