Search

11/14/2016

The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions) by Amy Spalding | Book Review

Book Review:
The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions) by Amy Spalding

Spoilers?
Yes!


Title - The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions)
By - Amy Spalding
Publication - April 5th 2016 by Poppy
Format - Hardcover, 320 pages
Genre - Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance

A ridiculously cute, formerly-famous new guy dropping into your life? It's practically every girl's dream. 

But not Jules McCallister-Morgan's. 

I realize that on paper I look like your standard type-A, neurotic, overachiever. And maybe I am. But I didn't get to be the editor of my school's long-revered newspaper by just showing up*. I have one main goal for my senior year-early acceptance into my first choice Ivy League college-and I will not be deterred by best friends, moms who think I could stand to "live a little," or boys. 

At least, that was the plan before I knew about Alex Powell**.

And before Alex Powell betrayed me***.

I know what you're thinking: Calm down, Jules. But you don't understand. This stuff matters. This is my life. And I'm not going down without a fight. 

----

* Okay, I sort of did. But it's a sore subject.

** I mean, I guess everyone knows about Alex Powell? Two years ago, you couldn't go anywhere without hearing about viral video boy band sensation Chaos 4 All. Two years ago, Alex Powell was famous.

***Some people think I'm overreacting. But this. Means. War.

Filled with romance, rivalry, and passive-aggressive dog walking, Amy Spalding delivers a hilariously relatable high school story that's sure to have you falling for The New Guy.


The Rating :




My Review:

My review in a gif. Which equals 4 stars.

via GIPHY



The Cover:
Although they say never judge a book by it's cover I believe the cover should represent what the book is going to be like or at least some aspect of it.
Yes, this cover has yet another blond on it but I’m kinda digging the look. Having both Jules and Alex on the cover was cute.


The Story:
I did think that this book good, but boring in parts and I felt like quitting it a few times just for a while but I didn't quit and ended up finishing it without realizing I had finished it. The ending wasn't what I thought it would be. I  liked that the Crest and TALON joined forces and I think they should have done that a long time ago but Jules was very stubborn.


I was happy that the characters were unique and they all had lives besides the main characters. Like Jule’s moms were both hardworking women, and her friends also had their stories.


Relationships:
This book had many relationships. But I'm just going to talk about the main couple and Jules’ friends.


Jules x Alex
From the beginning I thought hey were so cute but that they were going to break up. They barely knew each other and I don't think Jules ever meet his mother. Even though he meant for them to  meet at one point. After they broke up I knew they were going to get together but I also knew it wasn't going to be easy. 


So much about them was cute. They both liked the dogs in the refugee and liked to walk them. He got along with her friends easily and tried to get back together with  her but she  was so involved with the paper that she just didn't see it or even give him a chance to tell her what was going through his mind.

Jules and her friends
I adored her friends but I think that she also ignored them at times. That she could have relied on them for help and just to listen to what's going on with her. Even with Jules being so focused on the paper her friends were always there trying to help her and cheer her up.


Family Dynamics:
As for Jules’ family.
I thought that they were so close and loving. Like Jules’ moms were communicative loving and respected each other as well as their daughter. I like that this is the first book I have read with two same sex parents and I was rod of the way that they were portrayed. As humans as two people who loved and cared for eachother and loved their daughter with all their hearts.


The dogs were adorable. They always ran to Jules, or on occasions to Alex when he visited. When ever they were in the scene I was happy.


Settings:
There weren't that many settings that I liked in this book. But there was one that called out to me, and that was the school. I felt that when there were scenes in the school I could totally picture it in my head. And I don't know if it's the fact that I have seen lot of movies where the settings are in the school. Like most Disney movies and stuff. But I just felt there were either lacking details where the settings were concerned, or that they didn't much jump out at me. Still I very much liked the school. 


Overall:
I liked this story a lot. It Jules reminded me so much or Rory Gilmore from the Gilmore Girls. With how determined she was and how smart she was. Still at some points I did want to just shake her and tell her that she doesn't have to obsess so much and that she doesn't have to resort to keeping secrets and backstabbing the boy she supposedly loves.

I also liked that there wasn't a love triangle in this story. I’m mentioning it because usually when coues in stories break up they always add another person of interest to cause drama and necessary conflict. I liked that this author do that.

I liked the Crest or at least the people behind it. They were determined and brave and smart people behind that and they all contributed to it in a good way. Though  also liked TALON and thought they did a great job including the other students in the school. It was great that they settled their differences and worked together in the end. Though as I said before they should have done that like halfway into the story.

Jules and Alex’s relationship was a bit complicated and I thought the whole “lets have sex” storyline was unnecessary. It felt like -I don't know. Like it just would have been okay without that. They had barely been back together for more than a few days before talking about having sex and that was just a bit weird. I get that they were way happy to be back together but just -meh.


I feel like I’m writing too much so I’ll stop here.


______________________________________










//postfooter//

 photo postfooter_zpsbjlk2ljo.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, all lovely booknerds!