Search

6/28/2016

Midnight in St Petersburg by Venora Bennett | Book Review

Book Review:
Midnight in St Petersburg by Venora Bennett


I have been reading this book for too long and just couldn't make myself read more of it faster till now.


Title - Midnight in St Petersburg
Author - Venora Bennett
Publication - January 19th 2016 by Thomas Dunne Books Format - ARC, 384 pages Genre - Russian, Historical Fiction, Romance, Adult
Source - given to me by st martins press in exchange for honest review

St. Petersburg, 1911: Inna Feldman has fled the pogroms of the south to take refuge with distant relatives in Russia's capital city. Welcomed by the flamboyant Leman family, she is apprenticed into their violin-making workshop. She feels instantly at home in their bohemian circle, but revolution is in the air, and as society begins to fracture, she is forced to choose between her heart and her head. She loves her brooding cousin, Yasha, but he is wild, destructive and devoted to revolution; Horace Wallick, an Englishman who makes precious Faberge creations, is older and promises security and respectability. And, like many others, she is drawn to the mysterious, charismatic figure beginning to make a name for himself in the city: Rasputin. As the rebellion descends into anarchy and bloodshed, a commission to repair a priceless Stradivarius violin offers Inna a means of escape. But which man will she choose to take with her? And is it already too late? A magical and passionate story steeped in history and intrigue, Midnight in St. Petersburg is an extraordinary novel of music, politics, and the toll that revolution exacts on the human heart.


My Review:
I've had this book for months now and since I've been reading a few pages at a time. Till around a few months back I hit a wall and wasn't reading much of anything. Today I finished reading it and I can now understand why it was that it took me so long. I didn't like it. 
I just couldn't relate to any of the characters and yeah I know it was a different time but that doesn't justify the thoughts I have on the characters. I didn't like any of them.


Maybe if was the fact that I don't really understand what its like to be Jewish or a violinist or a revolutionary. But maybe it was that most of their thoughts or their actions were stupid and made me feel like I was reading a really long book form of an soap opera. 

Besides that it could be that I just didn't like the many information, back story and different point of views that sometimes made me not know whose turn it was to tell the story. It was a bit confusing. What I did like was the writing at some points. Like the description of the characters and the music because I could imagine what they looked like and how the music would have sounded like besides that I didn't much like it.

Though I do think I would recommend it to some one. Someone who likes historical fiction. Its just that I don't like this type of historical fiction.



Get a copy at:
Barnes&Noble  |  Amazon US  |  Amazon UK

______________________________________



Rating







//postfooter//

 photo postfooter_zpsbjlk2ljo.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, all lovely booknerds!