Search

3/03/2016

In Real Life by Jessica Love | Book Review

In Real Life by Jessica Love Book Review



I got In Real Life back in February and just now I finished reading it though I really wanted to finish it in a week because its just 200-something pages long.

Spoilers?
YES!


Title - In Real Life Author - Jessica Love Publication - March 1st 2016 by St. Martin's Griffin Format - Hardcover, 224 pages Genre - Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance Source - given to me by Griffin in exchange for honest review Add on GoodReads Rating - ★★★.5

Hannah Cho and Nick Cooper have been best friends since 8th grade. They talk for hours on the phone, regularly shower each other with presents, and know everything there is to know about one another. There’s just one problem: Hannah and Nick have never actually met. Hannah has spent her entire life doing what she’s supposed to, but when her senior-year spring-break plans are ruined by a rule breaker, she decides to break a rule or two herself. She impulsively decides to road trip to Vegas, her older sister and BFF in tow, to surprise Nick and finally declare her more-than-friendship feelings for him. Hannah’s romantic gesture backfires when she gets to Vegas and finds out that Nick has been keeping some major secrets. Hannah knows the real Nick can’t be that different from the online Nick she knows and loves, but now she only has one night in Sin City to figure out what her feelings for Nick really are, all while discovering how life can change when you break the rules every now and then.


My Review:

In Real Life is the story of two teenagers that have been friends for 4 years but only online and they've never met in real life, hence the title. So when Hannah, aka "Ghost" decides she wants to go to Las Vegas to meet Nick and tell him that shes in love with him things start happening.

The story for me felt cliche. Like some combination between the movies You've Got Mail and Made of Honor. But set in California to Las Vegas and teenagers instead of adults and a bit boring at times.

I think that if it wasn't so repetitive when it came to Hannah telling us that she was so in love with Nick and how she couldn't do anything about it would have been better. Maybe if she stopped thinking of how she liked Nick and remembered that they're friends then she would have taken him away to go sight seeing or anything. Like I really like the part were they go and "crash" a wedding reception and go to the Eiffel Tower and I kinda would have wanted more things like that to happen and probably some more moments like when the girls wanted to go hang out at the pool and chill under the sun in. More best friends and sisters time. But that's just me.

Though I really loved the whole realization that she doesn't have to be afraid and run away. That part where they ride the roller coaster. And I also liked the ending where the Automatic Friday (?) perform one of the songs Nick wrote for Hannah. That was awesome and it kinda inspired me to do that band ya story I've been thinking about.


I think out of all of the characters in this story my favorite had to be Grace, Hannah's big sister because she was so much more real to me than Hannah was. I guess that's because I'm closer to Grace's age than Hannah but it wasn't just the age it was how even thought she was pretty much a mess at the beginning and reckless in the middle when her sister really needed her she was there for her. And that was pretty cool. Alex was a real cool big brother too.

Lo was pretty unrelated and even tough she was a latina and I'm one too I did not get much from her except from the fact that she wears skippy clothes and has a low alcohol tolerance. Besides that nothing.

Nick was pretty much a regular guy in my opinion. Like that guy you knew/know in high school that you thought was really hot but acted like a loner. Kinda like that.

As or Hannah trough out the whole story she was a bit boring to me. Shes a control freak that if she doesn't get help from her sister or her fiend she blames them for it instead of doing what she thinks is right. I think that if from the beginning she should have ton Nick how she felt the moment she saw him or at least the moment she noticed that him and Frankie were having problems. I know I would have, I mean yeah I would have had an internal fight about it but I would have told him if it was something so serious that lasted around 4 years.
______________________________________












//postfooter//

 photo postfooter_zpsbjlk2ljo.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, all lovely booknerds!