Search

2/03/2019

The Foxe & The Hound by R.S. Grey | Book Review #146





The Bookish Island's Book Review:

The Foxe & The Hound by R.S. Grey




Are there spoilers?
This one has spoilers!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Title: The Foxe & The Hound 

Author: R.S. Grey

.........................................................

Pages: 328

Published: 2017

Genre: Romance, Contemporary, Contemporary Romance, New Adult, Adult

.........................................................

Date Read: July 26 > 27, 2018

Rating: ★★★★☆


When your life is a hot mess at twenty, it’s cute. At twenty-seven… well, not so much.

It’s just that my lofty dreams—making it as a real estate agent, paying rent on time, showering daily—have stayed just that: dreams. Oh, and love? I’ve decided love might be a little ambitious for me at the moment. Instead, I’ve settled for the two guys who will never leave me: Ben & Jerry.

That is until Dr. Adam Foxe takes up residence as the town’s new vet.

With his strong jaw, easy confidence, and form-fitting scrubs, it’s not long before every housewife in Hamilton is dragging neglected tomcats in for weekly checkups.

Like everyone else, I’m intrigued. Even after I spoil my chance at a good first impression, he still offers me a proposition I can’t refuse: play his girlfriend at a family function and he’ll hire me as his real estate agent. Welcome to love in the 21st century.

It’s too bad I underestimated Adam’s irresistible charm and the undeniable attraction that burns between us. The day he pins me to the wall and silences me with a kiss, the line between reality and ruse begins to blur. Every teasing touch brings me to my knees. Every kiss promises more.

It looks like my hot mess of a life is about to get a little hotter.




The Rating:






My Review:

I've been holding back on this review because I had very mixed feelings towards this book. But here goes nothing.

The Foxe & The Hound is about a beautiful real estate agent, Madeleine, who crashes into a handsome vet with an attitude, Adam. And of course, there's the one who got them to crash. Too big for his own good, doggo Mouse. 

One of the things that gave me problems was Adam. I hated him. I swooned at the beginning but then all of a sudden it turned to dislike. He just did some things that made me look at this book with some serious death stares. I even stopped reading it at the point where I couldn't handle how he acted and how Madeleine reacted anymore. But because I had to give it back I powered through having a curtain on those chapters and how I felt and ended up enjoying it after.

I ended up liking the banter between Adam and Madeleine and how their relationship was finding a smooth rhythm. The steamy scenes were just right. Mouse was an amazing and very important doggo. And in the end, I was shocked with that plot twist.

I can now say that with that ending I now am on board.


Now. If you really want to know what bothered me about this book here it is. But you have been warned since this is a spoiler.

There is one scene, past the first 120 pages, where Adam basically assaults Madeleine. But that's not all, because it happens before he tells her that he's sorry for misleading her into thinking that they were more than just acquaintances or friends. That he isn't looking to date anyone since he got out of a messy relationship just recently. Which is also the reason why he moved to that town in the first place. But that's beside the point. 

The point is that he tells her he isn't interested in dating her after she asked him out (taking the courage to ask him out thinking that she has a shot) and then he blocked her only exit to the building they are in and grabs/pins her to the door and assaults her. Now! It doesn't matter that she likes him or that in the end she was "okay" with what he did to her or it turned her on. That doesn't matter. What matters, and what bothers me about Adam, is the fact that he rejects her, grabs onto her wrist to the point where she tells him he is hurting her, ignored her pain, and then plants a kiss on her mouth. And I think that somewhere in that she thinks to herself that he is being forceful towards her but then she goes on to say that she likes it. 
And as I'm writing this I notice that it may be me thinking too much into what he did, but then again it was too much happening at once and I freaked out instead of feeling excited for them like I think the writer intended. That's why I didn't like him. I had to make myself forget that that scene had happened in order to keep reading.



Goodreads
______________________________________







The Bookish Island
Blog  |  Tumblr  |  Instagram  |  Youtube  |  Goodreads


//postfooter//

 photo postfooter_zpsbjlk2ljo.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, all lovely booknerds!