Search

10/23/2016

What Happens Now by Jennifer Castle | Book Review

Book Review:
What Happens Now by 

Spoilers?
Yes!!


Title - What Happens Now
Authors - Jennifer Castle

Publication - June 7th 2016 by HarperTeen
Format - Hardcover, 384 pages
Genre - Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance, Mental Illness Source - borrowed

"I know what it is to want something so badly, you feel like your cells aren’t properly bonded together without it. I also know what it’s like to get that something. And honestly, I’m still not sure which is worse..." Ari Logan is battling to win her war against depression and the dark night she hurt herself on purpose. It’s not easy: her best friend is drifting away, her mom’s emotionally checked out, and she spends her days playing caregiver to her handful of a half-sister, Danielle. But it’s summer, and anything is possible... That’s when Camden Armstrong steps onto the beach of Ari’s local swimming lake. At first, Ari quietly longs for Camden from afar, seeing in him everything she wants to be. When the two discover a true connection the following summer, Ari lets herself fall not just for the quirky and self-assured Camden but also his friends, tumbling into their world of independence, adventure, and shared sci-fi fandom. As Ari’s romantic dreams come true, she must unlock the mysteries of the very real and troubled boy behind her infatuation, while also struggling with her own demons, obligations, and loyalties.

The Rating :


My Review:

My review in a gif. Which equals 4 stars.





The Cover:
I want to start reviewing the covers as well. Because although they say never judge a book by its cover I believe the cover should represent what the bool is going to be like or at least some aspect of it.
As for this particular cover, I think it was perfect. It's a scene that looks like it was made out of clay and it is of the lake and Ari and Camden on the dock. I love it.


The Story:
The first half of this book, the half  were Ari is infatuated with Camden, this half was perfect.
The way she talked about her feelings for him, and how she just described how she felt was so relatable. How to her, he wasn't just a crush, he was Camden. He was the Possible.

After they did get together as a couple it didn't have the same flame. Yes, I was happy for her but then it was just all too boring, too normal.


Relationships:
This book had a bunch of relationships both in family and in couples.
Like Ari x Camden. Eliza x Max. Kendall x James (though they didn't get together, it did hint at something). Then the families. Like Ari and her family. And how her little sister was more of a daughter. And how Camden could never say no to his mom. Then there was the way the  friendship between Camden, Eliza and Max was a sort of mess. They were friends, but also Eliza used to date Camden, and now she's with Max.


Family Dynamics:
Ari's Family. The whole problem with Ari's family was that her mother was always away working. And even if Ari had an awesome step dad, Richard, who was kind to them both. She still had to take care of thing around the house and be a big sister/mom to her little sis, Danielle (Dani), who was so adorable and cute and smart. 

During the whole book I was so hoping that they would just sit down and settle things. Tell each other what they feel and figure things out because the lack of communication between them was ruining their family. I was glad they settled things in the end.

As for Camden and his family. Well, he never knew his dad, and I don't think even his mom knew who he was. His mom was always traveling, moving them around. Even if this created a unique bond between them of understanding and love, it also made it hard for Camden to feel like he belonged anywhere. Which made him think of Eliza and Max as his family. And that later on in the story created a conflict between them and Ari.


Settings:
I adored the lake. During the time when I was reading this I just wished there was a place like that in my town because the heat was so unbearable. Sadly there is no such thing. But I still, imagined what it would be like and that was fun. And then there was the hidden waterfall place that was also awesome.

I also liked Millie's. I just wanted it to exist near me so I could visit and shop for materials and such.

I think another place that I liked, and this is weird, but I secretly wanted to go to Camden's house, and go to is room to see the skylight, because I thought that was just so cool. 


Overall:
I liked it! I truly liked how real the characters were. Specially Ari and her family because those things actually happen. How raw it was too. Because it did talk about depression and self-harm, and tough stuff that happen in families that could scar you for the rest of your life.

I want to say that I liked the ending and even though I didn't want it to happen, the way it did happen was lovely and adorable. And also just before that was way adorable and made me feel happy for the family.

I also liked the whole Silver Arrow ting. how they got together and got dressed up to go to the con and take photos in costume. Viva la Nerd!

The weird thing was that if you're a fan of something for so long how do you not look them up on your computer or sneak out to the library and search for all things Silver Arrow and know about conventions and cosplaying or even fangirling. That to me was weird because the first thing I do when I like something is to find out more about it.




______________________________________








//postfooter//

 photo postfooter_zpsbjlk2ljo.jpg


1 comment:

  1. I love this book. The relationship between Ari and Camden was so cute. Fangirling over everything.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, all lovely booknerds!