Search

2/28/2016

Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman | Book Review


Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman

This is a book that I got back in September of last year because I won it on Goodreads but I was so busy with uni and family and other things that I never had a chance to give my complete attention to this book. I'm glad I picked it up and as soon as I did I finished it in 2 days.


Does this review have spoilers?
YES.


Title - Vengeance Road

Author - Erin Bowman

Publication - September 1st, 2015 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Format - Paperback ARC, 327 pages

Source - Goodreads giveaway

Genre - Young Adult, Romance, Historical Fiction, Western

Goodreads



Rating - ★★★★★

Revenge is worth its weight in gold. When her father is murdered for a journal revealing the location of a hidden gold mine, eighteen-year-old Kate Thompson disguises herself as a boy and takes to the gritty plains looking for answers—and justice. What she finds are untrustworthy strangers, endless dust and heat, and a surprising band of allies, among them a young Apache girl and a pair of stubborn brothers who refuse to quit riding in her shadow. But as Kate gets closer to the secrets about her family, a startling truth becomes clear: some men will stop at nothing to get their hands on gold, and Kate’s quest for revenge may prove fatal.


My Review:
I  actually won this book on Goodreads a couple of days before it was released. But I  don't know what it was that I  couldn't get myself to read it and now that I  have I  completely regret not reading it as soon as I  got it and never stopping till I  was done.

This is a book that tells the story of a young girl named Kate who witnesses her father being tortured and hanged by a notorious gang named the Rose Riders that's lead by Waylan Rose a very awful person. After she has to bury her own father she is filled with pure anger and sets off to kill Rose and his men for revenge. Hence Vengeance Road.

Not only does she accomplish what she sets off to do but she finds that she's not alone in the world. Because along this anger filled road to get revenge she meets the Colton brothers, Will, and Jesse, who tag along with her even if she doesn't want them to and throughout all of this they don't know she's actually a girl because to them she's a short skinny boy named Nate.
Kate is such a strong-willed girl on the hunt to figure out just what happened and kill her father's executioner. She's so brave and awesome and definitely one of my favorite characters in the books I've read. She dealt with so much that I  was glad she had a happy ending.
As for the Colton brothers they were so cool yet a bit irritating for most of the story. My favorite brother was Jesse. Not because he went through so much and was still helpful to Kate but because Will didn't get a good backstory. He didn't even feel like a good character to me. I still managed to find him very handsome though. 

The hardback edition is so beautiful and awesome. Plus the book has a map, a map for a western and it's gorgeous. I'm definitely getting it as soon as I  see it.

I  loved the story I  loved it so much but I  kinda hated that some of the characters were boring. Like The Colton sister, Sara and her family, Roy (husband), Jake (son) and Clara (sister-in-law). And then there's Evelyn which was such an interesting character but she didn't get much of anything. Though I 
really loved Liluye’s whole story. How she was taken from her family because she was an Apache and how thanks to Kate getting her out of a burning building even though she had something to do with it she managed to get home safely and be with her big family and be at home.


Do I  recommend this book? Yes, thousand times yes. It's a fast read and a super refreshing.

______________________________________








//postfooter//

 photo postfooter_zpsbjlk2ljo.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, all lovely booknerds!