Search

12/29/2018

A Lie for a Lie by Robin Merrow MacCready | Book Review #133




The Bookish Island's Book Review:

A Lie for a Lie by Robin Merrow MacCready




Are there spoilers?
There are some spoilers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Title: A Lie for a Lie 

Author: Robin Merrow MacCready

.........................................................

Pages: 208

Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

Published: 2017

Genre: Young Adult, Mystery, Thriller, Contemporary

.........................................................

Date Read: November 24, 2018

Rating: ★★★☆☆



A gripping YA mystery about seventeen-year-old Kendra, an amateur photographer who discovers her father is leading a double life.

Kendra Sullivan loves taking pictures. But when a photograph reveals that her father is leading a double life, she sets out to investigate the situation. Before long, Kendra discovers her father's second family, which he has hidden for years. Kendra's knowledge soon turns into power; she is torn between exposing her father and destroying her family as she's known it, or looking deeper for the truth and suffering that outcome. This emotionally charged mystery pushes the boundaries between truth and deception, and the consequences one faces when dealing with life-changing information. of what it means to be a mother--and how far someone will go to keep a child safe.



The Rating:








My Review:

A Lie for a Lie was a disappointment for me because I thought it was going to be an interesting YA mystery about a girl who takes a photo of a murderer or whatever in the act of doing something bad. But that wasn't the case. It was just the story of a girl who is obsessed with taking photos of everything and everyone and t just so happens that she catches her father with another woman and a child. And instead of doing something about it or tell her mom (which I would so do if it was me) she, you guessed it, takes a photo of them being all happy together. 

She kinda gets a little too obsessed with the other woman and her kid by following them around and breaking and entering. Which I thought was going to go somewhere dark and that would have fixed this story for me. But that didn't happen. She is also okay with telling her friends and the guy she's into but not her mom. That pissed me off.  

Yeah, the story ends with her having killed her grandma and the kid's hamster but the whole parental situation was way too awkward and weird for me. Or at least the way it was dealt with. I'm glad she got out of there and got with her best friend who had a crush on her since forever and s so sweet to her but that bit before and most of the middle could have been a lot different and I would have liked this book lots. 

The one good thing about this book was the love interest for the main character. Not the guy she's into but the guy who is into her. He had been her best friend since they were kids so he knew her all too well. Which at first was a little too creepy (I so thought he was gonna assault her and he kind of did) but it was the latter half of the book's version of him that made it enjoyable. First half was a little too creepy but later half was cool.

Like I said in the beginning, I thought this was going t be along the lines of the movie, The Lovely Bones, (and I say movie because I haven't read the book, so I don't know how it's different from the movie) but it wasn't like that. And that's okay but the cover totally had a mystery/thriller look to it and the beginning of the book felt that way too. I'm just so caught on to that because I read the whole book thinking it was gonna be one thing but ended up being a whole other thing. I enjoyed some of this story, but because of the confusion, it ended up just being that. A book I enjoyed and nothing further. 

I just didn't get it. It's not for me and I'm sad because I picked it because I thought I would love it. Maybe I should pick it up again in the future and go into it with no expectations and a clear mind.



Goodreads  

______________________________________







The Bookish Island
Blog  |  Tumblr  |  Instagram  |  Youtube  |  Goodreads



//postfooter//

 photo postfooter_zpsbjlk2ljo.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, all lovely booknerds!