Search

6/04/2015

Hugo & Rose by Bridget Foley | Review

Hugo & Rose by Bridget Foley  | Book Review


Just yesterday I finished this book and I probably read the last 100 pages in a few hours. 




Author: Bridget Foley
Title: Hugo & Rose
Publication: May 5th 2015 by St. Martin's Press
Format: Hardcover, 352 pages
Source: sent to me by St. Martin's Press
Genres: Magical Realism, Chick Lit, Romance, Adult
Rating: ★★★½

Synopsis:

A beautifully imagined women's fiction novel about a housewife who's dreamt of the same man every night her entire life - until she has a chance meeting with him in the real world.

Rose is by most qualifications an ordinary housewife, except for her dreams. Since childhood, she has always dreamt of the same island, with the same imaginary companion: a brave, heroic boy named Hugo. Rose’s own children now live for tales of Hugo and Rose’s adventures, battling giant spiders and bouncing on the pink sand of the Blanket Pavilion. And each night, after putting her sleepy children to bed, Rose escapes from the monotony of diapers and cracker crumbs to become a more perfect, fully-realized version of herself.

Until one day, Rose stumbles across Hugo in real life, and everything changes. Here is the man who truly knows her, who grew up with her, even if they aren’t what either one imagined. Their chance encounter begins a cascade of questions, lies, and a dangerous obsession that threatens to topple everything she knows. Is she willing to let go of everything she holds dear to understand their extraordinary connection? And will it lead her to discover who she truly wants to be?


Thoughts:

I actually requested this book because the synopsis sounded so interesting to me.
The truth is at first the book was really interesting and I read quite a bit the first few days but after I got to the middle it got seriously boring and didn't make much sense to me. Then at the last 100 pages I got really into it. The story was going in a direction I didn't expect. Which is not good but not bad either.
Even though I was bored for most of this book I really enjoyed it. Good characters, good world-building.

Do I recommend it?
Only if you like slightly weird books.


Add on Goodreads













//postfooter//

 photo postfooter_zpsbjlk2ljo.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, all lovely booknerds!